The sensation of swimming in virgin natural spaces is unique and so powerful that it is hard to forget about it. We do not have to do it in addition; We can try to reproduce it, creating a Natural swimming pool in the garden. A concept that moves away from the traditional and provides us with another type of experience.
In the heat wave, who does not feel like taking a shower? A natural pool allows us to cool off during the summer and enjoy a Ecosystem in constant evolution During each of the stations. Because natural pools acquire characteristics of both a garden and a traditional pool.
There is a tendency to return to the natural. A thought More green and eco Which invites us to look for alternatives to the"usual". It should not surprise us therefore that every day more people are inclined to build a natural pool. An ecosystem that nourishes the nature that surrounds them and that may contain different cold water fish, becoming an attraction, especially for the little ones.
Characteristics of a natural pool
As we have already advanced, the natural pools try to create an ecosystem that approaches the natural, without giving up a crystalline sweet water, Free of chemicals . Those are its main characteristics, those that differentiate them and move away from the traditional concept of swimming pool.
Creating an ecosystem that comes close to the natural one involves an important previous and independent study in which different factors are discussed: climatology, type of water, biotope, altitude... Part of the space of a natural pool is dedicated to the cultivation of Aquatic plants Which will change the appearance of the pool with each season and contribute to the regeneration and purification of the same.
In addition it is usual to find in the natural pools different varieties of Cold water fish . Koi fish and carassius fish are some of the most popular; They resist low temperatures and are very long-lived. The depth of the natural pool will be decisive for its survival. A minimum depth of 80 cm will allow the fish to withstand frost and extreme heat.
Trying to emulate a natural pond, the natural pools have more and less deep areas. Those of less depth, will be the hottest, being able to elevate its temperature until the 26ºC in summer. While the deepest, they will be the most suitable for cooling in summer.
Cleaning: absence of chemicals
In ponds and lakes large enough and deep enough, the water stays naturally clean. Hence that state is emulated in natural pools; Using the purifying power of plants and microorganisms to maintain the Clean, clear and salubrious water.
A conventional pool uses chemicals to kill water microorganisms like phytoplankton and bacteria. The challenge of natural pools is to ensure clean and healthy water throughout the year without the use of such chemicals. How? Using the purifying power of plants and microorganisms and relying on Innovative systems Technologically speaking. Systems that play with pH, alkalinity or the creation of nitrifying oxygen bacteria to keep water free of viruses and bacteria that could negatively affect our health.
In theory, a natural pool requires a Lower maintenance Than a traditional pool. No chemicals are handled or drainage pumps are required for annual repairs or cleanings, which increase maintenance costs. However, if it is necessary to take care of the plants and remove the leaves so that they do not accumulate.
We need Take care of plants Of the natural pool, just as we do with those we plant in our garden if we want to see them grow healthy and strong. We will also have to remove the leaves, so that the nutrient levels of the water remain low. It is also interesting to receive a visit from the maintenance team once a year to carry out the equipment review.
Design of a natural pool
The size, volume of water, depth, are parameters that intervene in the correct design of the biofilter for the natural pool . The filtration zone should represent approximately 20% of the pool, the swimming zone constituting the remaining 80%. Designing natural pools from 20m2.
As we have already mentioned the natural pools try to imitate the form of lakes and natural ponds. Hence most natural pools present irregular shapes and play with different depths, Integrating in the landscape . An integration that also contributes the coatings with natural appearance used.
The green slate bottoms, the rustic stone steps, the wooden piers and the small natural stone waterfalls, are often recurring elements in these types of pools that in no way resemble the traditional ones.
Do you like natural pools or prefer conventional ones?